Re: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Units and Dimensions - example pdf and dvi files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:18:57 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> CY,
>
> I liked the 'axiomunit_diagramtest' version a lot.
> I'll have to try that with src/doc/endpaper.
> Can you post or send the diagram code?

Actually, the whole tex file is posted, I just didn't link to it ;-).

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/Members/starseeker/axiomunit_v2.tex

Tim, if you're opposed to the conditional latex in the preamble what
about the local.sty idea?  Or different .sty files that can be invoked
by the make process?  As you can see a lot can be achieved with various
packages, and I know there is at least one more I intend to use
(sistyle) which was written to output units and quantities in
accordance with the official SI formatting rules.  Of course, that's
highly specific to the Units and Dimensions package for now, but later
on with other scientific pamphlets it may also be of considerable use.
Then there are other LaTeX routines out there for things like chemical
formulas and High Energy Physics particle names, and I would like to
take advantage of the work those authors have put into getting good
formatting.  I merely mention it here as an issue to think about.
Obviously I have no examples yet of files that make use of these
efforts, but I hope someday either I or someone else will have good
reason to want to use them.

> re: 1 inch margins (2.54 cm for our other friends :-))
>
> my book publisher told me that a 6 inch line was an industry
> standard because, in their experience, it is the least tiring
> line of text to read. we complained about this because, as
> you'll notice, the text format of the axiom hardcover book has
> a LOT of margin space (which we filled with comments). this
> margin was a fight between book size and line size.

Actually, I'm not too worried about that from a book standpoint - when
we publish, I'm all for making it as readable as possible and I don't
mind buying a slightly thicker book from lulu (maybe a bit more
expensive but I'm inclined to trust the publishers that the 6 inch line
is a good thing).  I like the 1 inch margin for when I need to print
off a draft of a pamphlet to read which will not be perminant - in that
case I get economy minded and want to save paper, since I might wind up
printing a lot of development versions of things.

That reminds me, actually - if we don't do the CD and other fancy stuff
but just do hardbound books, do we still have to have a minimum run of
100?  IIRC our original quote was over a year ago so I'm sort of hoping
things might have changed.  Obviously softbound will do but it would be
nice for libraries and such to have hardbound available, if they are so
inclined :-).

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Music Unlimited