Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: this is open source

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: this is open source
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:49:24 -0500

> As simple as possible: Axiom has a kernel in written in C or LISP and
> the rest is Aldor. Bill, would you consider that too simple?

AARRGGGHHH! C is one of the most non-portable languages I know.
an #ifdef here, an #ifdef there, here a #else, there #define,
under there 3 #includes with 17 subincludes, long, long long,
double long, uint_64, spanned doubles, ....

i've spent half my life moving C programs around and i just spent a
few days this past week moving 30 year old C programs to the MAC.
Half a million lines of lisp code move without one #+ or compiler
conditional. 500 lines of C take 3 days. Only the axiom C code
won't work on windows.

porting code has been a very large percentage of my professional life
and C has been the largest pain. The only issues I run into with lisp
is changing dialects (maclisp -> vmlisp -> common lisp) but now that
common lisp is widely avaiable as a standard language the porting
issues have evaporated.

and you couldn't do axiom in C anyway. show me a C program that reads
data, creates a C program, compiles it, links it, and runs it to call
other C programs.... or one that can do a closure over the stack. and
not just in principle but in practice.

please, no more C code.