RE: [Axiom-developer] [FrontPage] same font on all pages?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] [FrontPage] same font on all pages?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:36:51 -0500

On December 16, 2005 7:38 PM Michel Lavaud wrote:

> I have only a concern for French people : in the upper
> corner of the Home page, I see "derni?re ?dition il y
> a 4 heures par billpage", i.e. e with grave accent and e
> with acute accent are replaced by question mark. And in
> all other pages, I have the same phrase "derni?re ?dition
> il y a ...."
>
> Of course, this is absolutely not important by itself, but
> I think it would be nevertheless important to correct
> it, because it could be misleading for beginning French
> users and could lead to incorrect display of some pages.
> Indeed, if I connect for the first time and I see a part in
> French, but with question marks instead of accented letters,
> the first reaction is to correct the encoding and to select
> "Encodage des caracteres = occidental ISO 8859-1". And now
> I get the correct accented characters in the small part in
> French, and the rest of the text in English is correct, so
> I am happy in a beautiful multilingual world :-)

I agree that this is important. But this is not so easy
because it seems the world is not so multilingual (yet) as
it should be...

The correct encoding is uft-8 as the html source code says.
But there seems to be some problem with the encoding of the
translated fixed text.

> Of course, once again this is not at all important, as it is
> just a comment. But it might be more annoying for more important
> information, or if (some day) MathAction would use jsmath or
> other fonts for math formulas ? I see from the source code
> of the pages that they use UTF-8 encoding, so I would suppose
> it would require just a small modification of the configuration
> of Plone for French on the server, writing accented letters in
> Unicode or something like that?

Yes, I think you are correct. Note however that the Axiom Wiki
does not use Plone, as such. Plone is used only for the Axiom
Portal. The Axiom Wiki is based on Zwiki.

I have found the file in ZWiki that contains this text, but to
my surprise the encoding in the file seems to be correctly
written in utf-8, yet when it appears on the web page it is
clearly iso-8859-1. So perhaps this is a more subtle problem
of incorrect re-encoding. I will continue to look for a solution.

BTW I notice that this also happens in other languages that use
accents such as German.

> Or is it more complicated, and there is also something to
> configure on the local machines?

No, the only setting on the local machine is the language
setting of the browser. The rest should be automatic.