[Axiom-developer] Re: Doyen

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Doyen
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:13:52 -0500

Jose,

good to hear from you and good to see that you're still interested.
doyen has been discussed on the mailing list and we're hoping to
have enough support put together to get it ready to distribute
at ISSAC 2006 (Genova Italy http://issac2006.dima.unige.it/call2.html)
i normally get asked to put together the CD in late may and it needs
to happen in about 1 week so doyen has to be ready to go by that time.

i'd like to see a simple literate program that we can include as a
running example of the idea.

i'm currently working my way thru a book called "Ajax in Action"
by Dave Crane, Eric Pascarello, and Darren James looking for details
of how to enhance a locally running browser/server/axiom. in a local
situation we can use modified versions of the hypertex browser pages
directly; we can call back to axiom to compute results, etc.

> the discussions and possible future work. We managed to have Zwiki-Latex
> working on the CD (the Fedora version). Some problems in the lab stopped us
> from uploading it. We will do that as soon as possible, with the proper
> documentation. I saw that wiki has now support for pamphlet files. I would
> like to know if this is merged in the latest latexwiki. We created a little
> prototype of an application in which you can drop a pamphlet file in a text
> Bfield and the source and documentation will be extracted and compiled.
> However the display is done using xdvi or other tool.
> http://toolbox1.sytes.net/doyen/dragdrop/index.html . Another thing is that
> Knoppix has made changes to its structure. It uses UNIONFS now, which allows
> to install software in any part of the system, not only in the home
> directory. Our version of the Fedora Live CD can do this. We were able to
> have knoppix remastered using the new structure, which also has a better
> hardware support. I were thinking that this is important given the fact that
> the goal is to give Doyen in conferences, in which the hardware
> configurations for each machine can vary drastically.

Bill Page has recently talked about writing the instructions
necessary to install the whole zwiki/plone pile locally which
we could adapt to the doyen CD. we've already done the work to
set up a local server.

please copy address@hidden so others can help and
please update the build instructions. your userid on axiom-developer.org
should still be active.

there ia a page at http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Doyen
which you can modify to post the Doyen build instructions.
try publishing them there and i'll try to build a doyen from them.