RE: [Axiom-developer] Domains and expressions

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Domains and expressions
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:05:43 -0500

Gaby,

On March 14, 2006 6:42 PM you wrote:

> Chasing links led me to this

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=190695&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=673307
48&CFTOKEN=77193109

> Do people know what happens to "Gauss"?

Once long ago as a new user of Maple I remember trying Gauss.
I was distinctly unimpressed. That was with Maple release 4
which actually, I rather liked.

I believe that at the time Gauss was available from MapleSoft,
but I can't find it now on their website. If you are really
interested you might inquire at

http://www.maplesoft.com

Of course the idea of adding something as heavy as an object-
oriented strongly-typed extension to an untyped interpreted
language is pretty questionable anyway... I think B#, adding
an "untyped" interpreted user-level language to a strongly-typed
language like Aldor, makes more sense. Don't you think?

> In their approach to mimic Axiom, they avoid been careful in
> making AbelianMonoid "derive" from Monoid.

Yes, that is interesting - nice diagram. I wonder how much
of that was actually implemented?

Here is the only other reference I could find:

Design and implementation of symbolic computation systems:
International Symposium, DISCO '93, Gmunden, Austria,
September 15-17, 1993 : proceedings
(Lecture notes in computer science)

http://books.google.com/books?id=NrpGnrVET_MC

You might want to check if your library has a copy.

Gauss: A Parameterized Domain of Computation System with
Support for Signature Functions, by M.B Monagan, page 81.

Notice also the article by Tony Hearn about order-sorted
algebras: "An Order-Sorted Approach to Algebraic Computation".
Page 134.