Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: libaxiom.a

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: libaxiom.a
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:17:46 +0100

Hi Tim,

On 03/21/2006 04:55 PM, Page, Bill wrote:
[snip]
A more effective path would be to load and compile your
computation in lisp and then generate a standalone image to
do that computation, sort of a special version of AXIOMsys.
This IS standalone, machine-language code with an embedded
lisp that can use all of the axiom library.

Yes, I agree completely. That is the right way to go.

I don't. Suppose, I am a Fortran or C programmer and for some reason I need as a subpart of all my numerical computations some symbolic stuff. As I understand Tim, I should consider my program as a subpart of a customized AXIOMsys. Do you think you could convince me to do that?

I would certainly rather look for a library that I just link to my program and be happy. Only the minimal part of Axiom which is relevant to my problem should go into my final executable.

I somehow think that providing (symbolic) libraries (besides the Axiom we have) is just another way to bring symbolic computation to a broader public. Is that such a bad idea?

Even Maple does now provide an interface to let external programs call Maple functions. However, you need to buy Maple. We could just provide appropriate libraries. Why should we forget about that potential?

Ralf