Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: libaxiom.a

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: libaxiom.a
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:09:06 +0200

On 03/24/2006 06:54 PM, Page, Bill wrote:
Maybe S-expression can be defined in Aldor without imports
from foreign lisp something like this (very roughly):
[snip]
But then you would just be re-inventing part of Lisp inside
Aldor and there doesn't seem to be much point since you can
get all this from Lisp for "free".

Maybe some people are very accustomed to SExpressions, I am not. I am perfectly happy with Lists whose elements have a particular type, for example, "List(Boolean)". SExpressions are already a bit more complicated. And I cannot belief that they are the most natural thing that a mathematician can think of.

> Aldor is designed to compile to Lisp as one option.
It is natural to continue to use this in Axiom.

I am not against LISP. If code can be re-used then it's fine.
But there was already someone on the list who said that it would not be so easy to build a (symbolic-algebra) object library that could be linked to Fortran or C (or any other language) programs.

Anyway, that Lisp discussion is quite useful for me. In Axiom I am sometimes missing the "Rep" of a domain.

  src/algebra/boolean.spad.pamphlet

Now I belief, that in such a case the representation is an SExpression. Wrong?

Ralf