[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] operations working in general, but not i

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] operations working in general, but not in special cases -- help needed
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:30:20 +0200

On 04/04/2006 10:11 AM, Martin Rubey wrote:
Example 1, Matroids

A "matroid" is a mathematical structure with one very, very important
operation, namely "dualizing" which transforms a given matroid into
another. Thus, one is tempted to have a category "MatroidCat", which exports an
operation "dual: % -> %".

However, a very important class of matroids, called "graphic matroids", do have
this operation only if the matroid is "planar". (In fact, "graphic matroids"
are simply undirected, unweighted graphs)

From your description it is totally obvious: "graphic matroids" are not "matroids".

Since I cannot believe this, I would simply say, your "dual" function is not as inherent to a matroid as you think. You probably would like to create

define MatroidCategory: Category == with {
  -- don't know yet
}

define DualizableMatroidCategory: Category == with {
  MatroidCategory;
  dual: % ->%;
}

define GraphicalMatroidCategory: Category == with {
  MatroidCategory;
  if ... --express "planar" here
  then DualizableMatroidCategory;
}

The general case

We have a category A with an operation op: % -> %. However, there are natural
subdomains of domains of A, which are no longer closed under op.

So think of Z (integers) and N (natural numbers) and the operation
  -: % -> %
You would probably never say that N is an additive Group where the negation fails. Well, you could do this, but that is not mathematically natural. You simply say N is not an additive group.

Well, of course, you don't declare N to be of AbelianGroup.

I see your point, but at the moment I cannot think of a good advice for the general case. For the "holonomic" example, it sounds a bit strange to say that rational functions do not inherit from holonomic functions. But what is true is that rational function don't inherit the closure properties. So maybe as above that are two categories and one of them is the "ClosurePropertyCategory".

I don't yet know whether this is the best thing, but I cannot think of anything better at the moment.

Ralf