[Axiom-developer] Re: Editing wiki frontpage

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Editing wiki frontpage
Date: 01 May 2006 03:39:27 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby,
|
| On April 7, 2006 9:54 AM you wrote:
| >
| > How does one edit the wiki front-page?  What I'm interested
| > is to put a link from the front-page to a separate page that
| > documents the SVN source code is organized and how to do check
| > outs and check ins.
| >

| Editing the FrontPage (and a few other "special" pages on
| the Axiom Wiki) requires a Zope user id. Right now, only me,
| Rubey Martin, and Ralf Hemmecke have this sort of user id.
| If you are interested in sharing responsibility for the
| content of these pages, I have no problem providing you
| with similar access.
|
| On the other hand, if all you would like is a link on the
| FrontPage, then just let me know the page name you want and
| I will add the link for you.

Hi Bill,

I would like to have the following information linked from the
FrontPage, probably under the name "Axiom silver branch".  I will add
more information later.  Suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Many thanks!

-- Gaby

Obtaining a working copy from the Sourceforge SVN repository

* SVN requirements:

  You need a working SVN command that supports the HTTP protocol.
  You can get a copy from

        http://subversion.tigris.org/

  Here is an excellent online book on version control with Subversion

        http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

* read-only access:

   Check out the silver branch of Axiom source code with

     svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/trunk axiom.silver

  That command will create a directory, named axiom.silver, to
  hold checked out copy of the Axiom source code.  Please, feel free to
  replace "axiom.silver" with any name that suits your taste.

  If you are only interested in a particular development branch, say
  build-improvement, you may say

   svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/branch/build-improvement \
                axiom.build-improvement

* read and write access:

  You need to have a Sourceforge user id, and be registered as a developer.

  To obtain a working copy with write privilege to the sourceforge
  repository you might want to append "--username=<sf-user-id>" to the
  above commands, where <sf-user-id> is your sourceforge user id.

* "Core" developers:

   Some developers might prefer to have a working copy of the "whole"
   axiom repository, in that case they might want to issue

     svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom axiom

   That will check out the Axiom main repository into a local
   directory named axiom. It should contain the following
   subdirectories:

        branches/
        tags/
        trunk/

   that are self-explanatory.

Building Axiom from the development source

The Axiom build machinery is very complex, stratified in many
layers.  At the moment the build system is known to support only
native build-in-source.  This means Axiom is known to build for a
large set of target platforms where

   * the configure and make commands are issued from the directory
     containing the Axiom source codes, and the build happens in that
     directory;

   * no cross-compilation is involved.

You might find it convenient, especially if you are working with
repository files (either from SVN or CVS), to have the build happens
in a different directory than the one containing Axiom pristine
sources.  To that end, you can create a build directory that mirrors
the source directory as follows:

   # create a directory for building axiom
   $ mkdir axiom-build-dir

   # mirror the source directory structure with lndir
   $ cd axiom-build-dir && lndir /path/to/axiom.silver

Here the lndir command creates a shadow directory of symbolic links
to the Axiom source directory (here axiom.silver).  Once that is done,
you can

   # configure the source directory
   $ ./configure

Follow the instructions displayed after the configuration step.

At the moment, Axiom does not support the standard GNU-style configure
command switches.  Work is being done to remedy that situation.

Preparing and submitting patches

    address@hidden

that contains the patch in Naur format (e.g. as produced by diff -Naur),
and a ChangeLog entry briefly explaining the changes.  Please remember
that your modifications must follow the pamphlet style where required,
be properly documented.  Also, remember that patches for inclusion in
the silver branch must be prepared against the current "trunk" of the
SVN repository.  To that end, you might first want to update your
working copy with

   $ svn update

before producing the patch that you will submit.  We assume that
before sending your patch, you have built and tested axiom as per your
modification.  Be sure to indicate on which plateforms you have tested
your changes.