Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure
Date: 04 May 2006 10:35:50 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > now i have to waste time doing a re-install of FC5. I do NOT
| > want this to happen to an axiom user, at least not because they
| > tried to install axiom.
|
| If you do not trust programs that attempt to automatically
| resolve dependencies then why would you want to build this
| functionality into the Axiom source distribution?

yes, why do you believe the set of options you will use to build your
own versions inside user's environment will ever work or make any sense?
As far as I can, reading through the archive, it has been reported
that to get Axiom build on Ubuntu one needs to pass down special
configure options to GCL.  You have to trust; the only issue is where
to draw the bar.  You have seen lots of objections to have Axiom build
its own ghetto; I believe those objections should be given lot of
considerations.  I do not necessarily promote apt-get and such, but I
do believe that we ought to stop building an Axiom ghetto.