[Axiom-developer] Organization of Mathematics

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Organization of Mathematics
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 07:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

Tim, my apologies for not having done my homework - I poked around and
found the MSC, and then found you had already mentioned this back in
2005.  Talk about slow on the uptake!

Has anybody taken any steps to organize Axiom according to this system?
This strikes me as a very useful system to put in place.  Not only does
it make Axiom documents more readily accessible to the general
mathematical academic community, it provides us a detailed framework to
organize around and makes it simpler to determine Axiom's strength (or
lack thereof) in a particular subfield.  Indeed, when we begin making
source-code-only documents into TRUE literate documents, such
categorizations might actually be a handy way to know where to start
looking for papers documenting the key theories on the subject.
Ideally, the wiki interface to the source code could provide a search
for MSC categorizations (optionally including both primary and
secondary) and return a list of documents in Axiom pertaining to a
given subject.

I myself don't even begin to be competent enough to sort all of Axiom's
pamphlets into such categories, but if a start could be made it might
attract more interest.  For documents not dealing strictly with
mathematics (e.g. if Feyncalc gets ported, for example) there are
probably other useful classifications to add.  For physics and
astronomy there is http://www.aip.org/pacs/, for example.

Is there any feeling in the community, either support or opposition, to
using the MSC system to organize Axiom's mathematical pamphlets into a
coherent whole?  Either a directory structure (crude but effective), a
couple of lines in each Latex document identifying its categorization
(maybe creating a standard template with header and footer identifying
key info...  hmm...), or both?

Cheers,
CY