Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: LatexWiki

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: LatexWiki
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:22:00 -0700

C Y address@hidden wrote:
> Bob, have you had a chance to look at the axiom bibliography stuff I
> put up?  Would it be at least compatible with your web based ideas?

I noticed it but didn't have a chance to look closely.  Looking now, I
don't really understand what you're trying to do.  You've done some
transformations on axiom.bib?

Why can't you just use latex and bibtex as usual on a literate document?
All it should require is to run noweb, latex, bibtex, latex in that
order.  Am I being dense?

From my perspective, the axiom.bib is not of any interest by itself,
except as it can cause citations[1] to show up in documents.  As such,
axiom.bib should ideally contain every document ever written.  Bibtex
ignores unused bibliography entries.  Why do you want to process
axiom.bib?  I think the processing you're interested in could be
accomplished with a .bst file.  If one wants to store annotations about
a paper, that's an interesting thing to do.  But I don't think a
bibliography is the place to do it.  (It makes sense though if I
envision the .bib file as a generalized database that will be processed
in different ways)

[1] Somebody F. Important, Journal of Important Results, v2, p483, 2006

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    Only after you've tried to figure something out for yourself and
    failed are you ready to absorb "the answer."