[Axiom-developer] Translation of the interp to lisp

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Translation of the interp to lisp
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:16:01 -0700 (PDT)

After fooling around this weekend trying to get something running on
sbcl, I can see Tim why you decided to scrap boot and get everything
below SPAD/Aldor into Lisp.  Yikes.

Two questions:

1.  Where is the most current work on that translation?  Is it in the
silver/gold branches?  Or one of the tla archives?  (Sorry if I missed
this in my archive hunt - there were a lot of emails on the general
subject).

2.  I noticed a lot of implementation specific code having to do with
things like (system:getenv $AXIOM) - is the plan to write some generic
macros to handle these operations and get all of the implementation
specific logic into one file?

Not trying to restart the boot vs. lisp wars, just want to know how
best to help here.  I could start going over the #+gcl type entries in
the files and putting together a "rosetta" file for various
implementations, if that's of any interest.  Also, I would be
interested in helping with an asdf file if that is on the program -
I've tried with the boot based codebase but didn't even get to first
base.  The multiple images used in the bootstrapping process (something
I gather would be rendered unnecessary by the lisp conversion?) tend to
complicate things.

Cheers,
CY