[Axiom-developer] SELinux vs Lisp

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] SELinux vs Lisp
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:56:34 -0400

Emil,

I mentioned the fact that in FC3 and FC4, GNU Common Lisp does not
build properly when SELinux is enabled.

I recently started porting Axiom to FC5 and the only way to get
GCL (and thus Axiom) to build is to completely turn off SELinux
processing.

The problem occurs because Lisp saves images and then tries to execute
them which, if SELinux is enabled, results in a segmentation
violation. Apparently it is no longer enough to just disable
randomize_va_space. Now it seems I must do:

  /usr/sbin/setenforce 0

I'm not sure what the technical problem is but there is clearly a
complete misunderstanding by the SELinux people about what is
reasonable program behavior.

The problem is not confined to GCL. I see that Steel Bank Common
Lisp (SBCL) has also struggled with the same problems.

Please pass along, rather more emphatically, that SELinux should
not break fundamental computing technology like lisp systems. If
they cannot build GCL they should not promote the SELinux change.