Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: 25 Jul 2006 05:50:29 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| Gaby,

| > | How would more general forms of reflection within Aldor help
| > | to achieve this?
| >
| > Please, download Generic Haskell and do some experiment by
| > yourself. Look at the resulting codes in each case.
| >

| I have the Coral release from
|
|   http://www.cs.uu.nl/research/projects/generic-haskell/compiler.html
|
| and also the paper "Dependency-style Generic Haskell" from
|
|   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~johanj/publications/GHTypeSystem.pdf
|
| But I am having some difficulty getting started with any real
| generic code. Can you suggest where I might find a "quick start"
| tutorial at the level of, say the SortPackage example in section
| 11.8 of the Axiom book?

Hmm, that is a good question.

Hmm.

I would suggest starting to implement yourself generic 'eq', generic
'map' without looking at the library.  If you get stuck, you can have
a look there.  That should give you a quick start I guess.
If you have any further question, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll probably send you a draft of a paper discussing our little
experience in case be interested.

Generic Haskell is well-suited for problems that depend only on the
structures of types, like serialization, parsing, generation of
combinatorial structures, etc.

I'll be thinking about your question and attempt to come up with a
mini-tutorial as you suggested.