Re: [Axiom-developer] topic modeling

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] topic modeling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:35:04 -0400

> Classification is a popular subject in AI and especially data mining, I did
> not read the paper but there is a lot different technique. And having an
> article in ZDnet and making a round in the blogospher is not reliable
> indicator of a scientific breakthrough.

I did some work on semantic classification while at IBM Research.
The system was called KROPS, a combination of a rule-based programming
language based on OPS and a semantic network by Eric Mays called KREP.
I showed that there is a dual relationship between semantic nets
and rete-network rules, a unification that allows rules to be expressed
as classification and vice-versa.

KREP uses a special kinds of classification called subsumption which
has provable properties of the classification.

You can read about subsumption here:
  http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/papers/macgregor/aaai94.pdf

KROPS (KREP/OPS) was the basis for IBM's FAME project
  http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/363/ibmrd3603H.pdf

KROPS is described in:
 "Integrating rules and inheritance networks in a knowledge-based
  financial marketing consultation system" Proc. HICCS (1988)
  Pages 496-500