Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:55:10 -0400

> | I really don't understand why you insist on preventing people from
> | contributing to Axiom.
>
> if we allow build of Axiom without requiring latex, Axiom might be in
> the danger of being tested and used in more environments, and we might
> have more users; that should not be allowed.

Ralf, Gaby,

Are these reasonable statements?

Axiom source code is available on 3 platforms. All posted patches have
been applied. On my private server many users have personal userids;
22 people have read/write access to the Arch repository. There are
over half-a-dozen 'private' arch branches created for users, Camm has
a private userid for assisting Axiom/GCL testing, I set up the initial
SVN repository and gave Gaby Administrator access to do anything he
wants on the sourceforge site.  I've done many off-list handholding
efforts for people who are starting with the system. I've encouraged
major changes like using ALLPROSE everywhere. I've helped with private
development of Aldor. Six people have admin access on savannah (Me,
David, Camm, Juergen, Bill, and Dylan) and three people have admin access
on sourceforge (Me, Bill, Gaby). All have the right and ability to
change Axiom any way they want. In all nearly 30 people can completely
rewrite the system, including the golden sources.

In what way are people being prevented from contributing?

Axiom used to build directly from non-latex sources. These sources
still exist in Arch and CVS. There are more Axiom users now than
there were prior to the latex builds. There is nothing to prevent
you from creating a non-latex SVN branch that uses these sources.

So far only the Debian default system does not include Latex.
Latex can be built for a single user. In what way does using
latex cause the world to turn away?

I admit to having strongly religious views of the way I believe Axiom
should be built but that doesn't mean you have to agree.  It doesn't
mean you can't change things. In fact I encourage you to try.  If you
really believe latex is a blocking condition then build the system
without it.  This is, after all, open source and there is nothing
stopping you from proving your point. Certainly not me.