[Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:03:09 -0400

Alfredo and Gaby,

I think we should get the Google repository reloaded ASAP.

On Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:20 AM Gaby wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Alfredo Portes wrote:
>
> | With the space we have now, one thing we can do is have
> | Silver in the trunk and build-improvements in a branch
> | and go from there if Google increases the size.
> | Do you think that is ok?
>
> Yes, definitely.

I also agree. But to do that we *must* get the Google Code
masters to reset our svn repository on Google back to zero.
Since we do not have svnadmin access to the repository this
is apparently something that we can not do ourselves. Any
change that we make (including deletions!) do not result any
any decrease in the amount of space already used in the
repository files. We need to start again from an empty
repository state.

Alfredo, will you please contact Google and ask them to reset
it?

I have SVK running reliably now on the axiom-developer.org
server. With SVK it is possible to transfer an entire repository
from one location to another without having svnadmin export
import access. For example as described here:

http://svk.elixus.org/?RecoverSVNMasterFromSVKMirror

I would like to try this, but first we need to have an empty
repository on Google and not just one that "appears" to be
that way. :-)

Meanwhile I am still having fun using Tailor to convert from one
type of repository to another svn<->darcs<->hg and experimenting
with mercurial versus darcs...

If SVK doesn't work out, then I am sure that I can persuade Tailor
to also do svn <-> svn from one location to another. But since
SVK is native to svn, I think we should try that first. Both of
these can be run periodically via crontab so that no manual
intervention would be involved in keeping at least one-way
mirrors up to date. (Two-way involves the potential to that
one might have to manually resolve conflicts.)

I am still struggling with get svn installed in server mode
on axiom-developer.org but I hope to have more time to work
on that soon.