[Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 13:34:06 -0400

Ben,

On October 1, 2006 9:26 AM you wrote:

> On 9/30/06, Bill Page wrote:
>
> > So this confirms that 'svk smerge' does not re-create the
> > repository in the same compact form in which it exists on
> > SourceForge. :-(
> >

> Another experiment you can try:  subversion 1.4 now ships with a
> mirroring tool called 'svnsync'.

Cool. I had not heard of this yet but I did install 1.4.

> Try using 'svnsync push' to replicate one repository to another,
> and see the results.

Following the recipe at:

http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2006/09/14/using-svnsync

I did the following:

 $ svnsync init file:///home/page/axiom_sync
 $ svnadmin create /home/page/axiom_sync
 $ echo '#!/bin/sh' > /home/page/hooks/pre-revprop-change
 $ chmod 755 /home/page/hooks/pre-revprop-change
 $ svnsync init file:///home/page/axiom_sync
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom
 Copied properties for revision 0.

But the 'svnsync sync' command says:

 $ svnsync --non-interactive sync file:///home/page/axiom_sync

 svnsync: REPORT request failed on
'https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom'
 svnsync: The requested report is unknown.

The same result was reported here:

http://www.svnforum.org/2017/viewtopic.php?p=5442&sid=36b51f8b03e12dea978935
37886b105b

(no reply yet)

Do you have any ideas about the cause?

> I somehow got cc:'d on these conversations, and I feel like a bit
> of an interloper... but it's hard not to overhear the debate.
> Here are my two cents.

Not at all. Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks.

My "negative experience" so far with subversion is just anecdotal.
Obviously I cannot speak for Tim Daly (whose experience so far has
apparently been considerably worse than mine) but I have no doubt
that using subversion with the Axiom project is a viable. To a
first time user like me who has previous experience with a tool
like darcs, subversion seems overly complicated, especially when
SVK is layered on top. I had the same negative reaction to Arch.
I want something that I can pickup, install, and start using
effectively in a few hours and mostly be invisible after that.
CVS, Arch and Subversion are not like that. Darcs is like that.
Mercurial might be like that... Oh well.

With respect to Google Code, I do miss having access to what seem
to be necessary tools such as svnadmin, but I can understand the
reason for trying to keep things as simple as possible.