Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Boot
Date: 02 Oct 2006 18:28:51 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| the new ASDF facility will make makefiles into one-liners.

this makefile stuff does not require writing the whole interpreter in
Lisp.

| the new UFFI facility will make external functions portable.

Boot being a syntactic sugar over Lisp, this UFFI stuff clearly cannot
be an argument againt Boot.

| the McCLIM facility will make embedded graphics possible and portable.

Ditto.

| CLOS will make the interpreter much more general and easier to change.

Ditto.

| CLSQL will allow the use of a real database backend.

Ditto.

| SLIME will make emacs know all about axiom.

This has nothing to do with Boot.

It looks to me that none of the reasons you advance speaks for
removing Boot.

[...]

| i failed to see the benefit of autoconf/automake.
| you do. so you're rewriting it. because you're willing to invest
| time and effort in writing and fully documenting a new makefile
| structure you'll clearly 'win' the makefile 'debate'.

I'm not rewriting just because I want to rewrite.