[Axiom-developer] Re: svn failures

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: svn failures
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:37:30 -0500

On Oct 2, 2006, at 10:10, root wrote:

storage errors are usually temporary but SVN does not recover well at
all. Often times my work system gets wedged into a state with 'locks'.
In work we use 'tortoise' as a windows cover and it recommends that we
run cleanup.  (BTW, why have cleanup? Why not just fail to a clean
state instead?)  Cleanup takes a long time and NEVER succeeds.

I can only say that automatically cleaning up would defeat the purpose. The purpose is this: while some Subversion operations run, they modify your working copy, and they require that they are the only process modifying the working copy. If you run an "svn update," for example, and it takes 10 minutes, and 5 minutes into the process you start another "svn update" it should fail and say that the working copy is locked (by the first update process) and to run "svn cleanup" if you feel the locks should be removed. If Subversion automatically did this, the first update process would be disturbed. The advisory to clean up is intended for the cases where the above hypothetical first update process has crashed and you therefore need to remove the working copy locks manually.

In the case you are experiencing, "svn cleanup" is presumably not relevant, despite what Subversion suggests, which is why running it has no discernible effect.