[Axiom-developer] RE: Sage CD

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Sage CD
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:27:53 -0400

Alfredo,

It's good to hear from you!

On Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:56 PM you wrote:

> My computer at home was "bugging out" (no other words to express
> it :-s), so I was not able to get it so you could add your content
> in doyen.sytes.net. I am currently in CCNY working on it.

Those things happen... (and happen, and happen :)

I'm glad you are still getting a chance to work on it.

I spent some time today learning how to use the DoyenCD to
directly "clone" another DoyenCD. Actually it is pretty simple.

1) All you need is to copy the entire contents of the /boot
   directory (and *only* this directory) to some other place,
   say '/dev/hdb/tmp-boot' where it is editable (preferable a
   Linux partition on the hard disk, but smbfs mount also seems
   to work.

2) Set the PATH like this:

   cd /dev/hdb/tmp-boot
   export PATH=./tools:$PATH

   Then just use 'mo2dir' to expand the module file, e.g.
   'base/var.mo' into another temporary directory, say
   '/dev/hdb/tmp-var'.

3) Apply the diffs from the actually /var directory (where
   zope really lives) to '/dev/hdb/tmp-var',

4) then zip it back up again as 'var.mo' using 'dir2mo'

5) and replace the module file in '/dev/hdb/tmp-boot/base'

6) Now create the iso CD image using 'make_iso.sh', et voila.

> Your fixes to Maxima worked like a charm.

Great. I also experimented with them by making a clone
by the above method.

One thing I noticed is that after getting this to work,
we should also run

   http://local-host/.../upgradeAll

to re-generate all of the pages. When I did this I discovered
a problem with the 'AxiomLanguage' page because the LaTeX
command \axiomType is not defined in LatexTemplate causes a
LaTeX error. It needs

  \def\axiomType#1{{\bf #1}}

There are probably some other missing Axiom-required LaTeX
commands needed in LatexTemplate. Take a look in

  http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/LatexTemplate

for any other missing ones that you find.

> I am working on adding Sage right now. I would like if you
> can tell me the steps to add it (or the files to modify).
> I am trying just to modify the necessary files in latexwiki,
> so I dont brake the current setup.

I have attached a patch file to this email with the
necessary changes. My first attempt to apply this patches
found some simple edit conflicts which will have to be
resolved - mostly involving difference in executable
paths as we expected. If you get stuck, just let me know.

> Also if you can send me the content you would like to
> add or put it in axiom-developer, maybe that will be
> a quick solution.

I would recommend that we include the following pages:

  http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AboutSage
  http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxSage
  http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxSagePamphlet

> See if I can have this CD in couple hours.

Wonderful. I'll be here in my office for at least another
hour, then I will have to check with you in the morning.

Cheers,