[Axiom-developer] Build-improvements and stamps

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Build-improvements and stamps
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 03:29:04 +0200 (CEST)

Gaby, ATM the stamp stuff misses dependencies: when I modify interp
files and run make nothing is rebuilt, because the stamp is still there
with old date.  So to force rebuilding one has to remove stamp by
hand.

AFAICS there are various correct solutions:

1) unconditionally run recursive makes in subdirectiries

2) put a list of source files for each subdirectory in the main
   src Makefile, and add this list as a dependency of the stamp

3) build everything from top-level makefile

Uunconditional recursive makes are a classic thing, the other two
can be managable if we include Makefile fragments into toplevel
Makefile.

I do not know what you want to do, but I think that correctly
handling dependencies is a must.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden