[Axiom-developer] depsys

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] depsys
Date: 13 Oct 2006 07:50:41 +0200

Tim --

I have a question about a difference in "load" behaviour bewteen a
clean lisp image (GCL), and depsys (and any image derived from it).

In a clean image, when I say '(load "foo")', Lisp will try to search
from the current directory -- just what is expected.

However, depsys will start search from $AXIOM/.. -- which is less expected.
I spent quite lot of time figuring out where that behaviour is
implemented in the files that make up depsys, but I was unsuccessful.
Do you have an idea whether that behaviour is implemented?
I looked many times at reroot, but could not deduce how it might be
responsible.  It looks like there is an Axiom code that fundamentally
changes GCL's usual load procedure.

Here is an excerpt of a ssession that reproduces the problem.

    [0:44]% echo '()' > foo.lsp
    [0:44]% ./build/i686-suse-linux/bin/lisp
    GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Aug 27 2006 19:51:04
    Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
    Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
    Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible
    license
    Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

    Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

    >(load "foo")

    Finished loading foo.lsp

    >(quit)
    [0:45]% ./build/i686-suse-linux/bin/depsys
    GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Aug 27 2006 19:51:04
    Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
    Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
    Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible
    license
    Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

    Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

    >(load "foo")

    Error: Cannot open the file /home/gdr/build/axiom/target/foo.
    Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
    Error signalled by EVAL.
    Broken at APPLY.  Type :H for Help.

Thanks,