Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Conference

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Conference
Date: 14 Oct 2006 20:21:46 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| My comment above was partly motivated by my "feeling old"
| following a meeting with a mostly younger and naturally more
| enthusiastic group. The contrast with the Axiom project is
| striking. I guess there is just something not very sexy about
| working on a software project that is older than the average
| age of the developers. For example if you did a poll among
| the Sage developers about the merits of Lisp versus Python you
| can be quite sure where their sympathies would lie. Lisp is
| legacy code. Period.

yes.  But not everyone agrees.

On the other hand, I consider C++ "old" -- it started as "C with
Classes" around 1979, with first release in 1989.  Still, today, it
draws lots of enthusiasm.  I suspect, it is not just being old.

I very much enjoy working through Axiom codes (even when I scream!),
thinking that epople like Jenks invented it.

But, some of the issues I have with the project has less to do with
its age than some "management" choices that I believe don't push Axiom
to more exposure.  We've already debated those, so I'm not going to
elaborate here.  I just hope that as we work toward making the system
more accessible, we would attract more (younger) people to revitalize
the projects.