Re: [Axiom-developer] parallel algorithms

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] parallel algorithms
Date: 16 Oct 2006 02:38:11 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| I've been researching a mechanism for parallel execution
| for algorithms like matrix multiply or group algorithms.
|
| Google has published their "MapReduce" algorithm here:
| http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce-osdi04.pdf

Yes, I gave this to students last year and it was really instructive
to them.  Last summer, some of the mini-projects I gave at the
CEA-EDF-INRIA summer school was also based on that.  Engineers appreciated.

| It seems that we could implement the automatic primitives
| used by google with similar semantics to achieve parallel
| execution on multi-core machines. Since multi-core machines
| are reliable and share memory and a file system this could
| be quite efficient and natural.

If you're really interested in that, you should check our the massive
work done by the functional community, e.g. by Roland Backhouse and
collaborators.  Google Jeremy Gibbons, Graham Hutton, "Functional
programming with bananas, ...", Eden, etc.