[Axiom-developer] FW: axiom on sage.math

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FW: axiom on sage.math
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:26:27 -0400

Dear Axiom Developers,

Sage is a radical new idea in computer algebra system design which
aims to integrate the many freely available open source computer
algebra packages (and some commercial packages if you own a licensed
copy) into a powerful unified environment with a common user language
and interface.

Thanks to the seemingly tireless efforts of William Stein, the lead
developer of Sage:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/

who helped untangle and reweave the code that I hacked during the
recent Sage Days 2 workshop, the Axiom interface is now available
in Sage version 1.4.1.1!

If you already have Axiom installed, you should be able to install
Sage from

http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage

and immediately access Axiom in Sage. (as well as many other computer
algebra packages). You will also be able to use Axiom interactively
via the Sage Notebook on your desktop.

If you don't have Axiom installed see:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomBinaries

If you have an earlier version of Sage, you can use standard methods
in Sage to upgrade to the newest version:

  sage -upgrade

Plus you can now try Axiom online on the Sage public server. See for
example:

http://sage-notebook.axiom-developer.org/106

You can easily create your own new worksheets and experiment with
Axiom and the other computer algebra systems integrated with Sage at
this web site.

Please find out more about Sage and help us improve this new Axiom
user interface. The interface is already quite usable but this is
only the first version and we have much more work to do to expose
Axiom's powerful features, such as the Axiom library compilers SPAD
and Aldor, Axiom's graphics, and Axiom's library browser to all
Sage users. There is also some interesting research to be done on the
subject of how best to integrate Axiom's static strongly typed
programming language with the Sage user language which is based on
the dynamic strong types of Python.

Enjoy!