[Axiom-developer] FW: axiom4sage-0.1.spkg axiom as a Sage package

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FW: axiom4sage-0.1.spkg axiom as a Sage package
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 04:23:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: William Stein [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 4:12 AM
To: Bill Page
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: axiom4sage-0.1.spkg axiom as a Sage package

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:57:59 -0500, Bill Page
<address@hidden> wrote:

> William,
>
> I have prepared an initial "alpha" version of an spkg for Axiom.
>
> You can download it (or access it directly) from here:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/page/packages/axiom4sage-0.1.spkg
>
> Install it using the standard command in sage-1.4.2 or later:
>
>    $ sage -i axiom4sage-0.1.spkg

Actually, that wouldn't have worked unless people set their SAGE_SERVER
environment variable to http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/page/
first.
However, I copied the axiom4sage to the official experimental part of
the
SAGE repository, so now the above command will work.

> Warning: Axiom is a *big* package (35 Mbytes) and even on a fast
> computer (such as the Sage server) it takes over two hours to compile.

Wow.

> This package is based on the newest experimental versions of both GCL
> (Lisp compiler version 2.6.8) and Axiom (the build-improvements
branch).
> Getting these both to build within the Sage "local" environment under
> Ubuntu and on x86-64 hardware turned out to be a worthy challenge :-)

I bet!!!  Many many thanks for doing this.  It will hopefully mean that
soon people will be able to more easily build Axiom on many machines.

> At this time the axiom4sage-0.1 package is only known to install
> successfully on the Sage server (Ubuntu linux) and on the Axiom server
> (Redhat 9 linux). I am currently working with Camm Maquire, the lead
> developer for GCL, to ensure that GCL and Axiom will also (real soon
> now!) build on OSX.

I'm eagerly awaiting this.  And building GCL on OS X would be nice,
because then SAGE would have the option to use gcl instead of clisp
for Maxima, if need be.

William