Re: [Axiom-developer] How to do generic sum using aldor?

From: Franz Lehner
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] How to do generic sum using aldor?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:06:07 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

Since you want to work with Axiom, I guess you are right here.
well, there is also axiom-math and axiom-mail ... anyways the people who answer seem to be the same:)

I currently rather rely on what is provided in LibAldor+LibAlgebra and don't take things from LibAxiom, but that is personal taste.
I wasn't aware that this is possible.
Using  #include "aldor" and #include "algebra" compiles but won't run:
(1) -> sum [1,2,3]

   >> System error:
   AxiomXL file "sal_list" is missing!

how can one mix axiom and libaldor?

You would call that via

l: List Integer := [2,3,4]
sum generator l
yes, this looked elegant and promising.

Yep. But sorry to say: Axiom is weak in that respect (at least to my knowledge).
ok, at least this is an answer and I shall not try further.
Thus my "SumPackage" includes also

                sum ( ll: Stream R) : R == {
                        import from StreamFunctions2(R,R);
                        last complete scan(0,+, ll);
                }

Is it really true that StreamFunctions2 must explicitly be imported?

The "last complete scan" makes me worry if the stream is really long
and all intermediate results are stored; or is it optimized away by the compiler?

I rather would like the for loop but do not know where to import it from.
greping the source files is not really helpful in this case ...

Franz