[Axiom-developer] Complex argument and mapleok

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Complex argument and mapleok
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:59:04 +0100 (CET)

I have checked the impact of commplex argument patch on mapleok.
AFAICS the patch fixed 11 results. In one case previously correct
result changed to a wrong one. A few cases the results changed, but
both old and new result is wrong.

In general, we get a lot of wrong results in mapleok.  The main reasons
are:
- our indefinite integrals have spurious singularities (the argument
  patch eliminated some of them)
- we miss divergence of the integral (no wonder, since most integrals
  use "noPole" option)
- we miss imaginary part.  Many integrands have arguments outside
  "real" domain and (at least in branch cut interpretation) have
  complex values (sometimes arguments are on branch cuts).  ATM
  Axiom discards (if present) imaginary part of the result.

Also, the results look too complicated (at least in some cases I know
that there is simpler answer).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden