Re: [Axiom-developer] Using Aldor compiler from within Axiom on amd64

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Using Aldor compiler from within Axiom on amd64
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:21:54 +0100

Hallo Christian,

I cannot help with all, but maybe with some of the problems.

Compiling the following short snippet (as test.as)

[...]
I get

>> System error:
    Unknown bfd format

My guess is that the version of gcl from which Axiom+Aldor was
produced does not specify the appropriate gcc option (-m32 ?) to
ensure that the object file that is created from the Aldor lisp
output can be linked with the Axiom+Aldor binary.

oh, besides the aldor compiler, axiom also uses gcl to compile aldor sources?

Aldor is only called to produce .ao, .asy, and .lsp files. Axiom starts gcl in a second pass to make an .o file out of .lsp.

[...]

Then you must follow the procedure at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom

to link Axiom with Aldor.

I tried to follow that guide, but ran into trouble already at step 5 “Update your axiom source code to patch 44”, as for a fresh install, of course I could not “tla update”. I tried with the silver sources instead. Building axiom aborted, and make complained about denied permission to modify
/home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/entries
/home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/all-wcprops
/home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/prop-base/axiom.sty.svn-base /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/tex/.svn/text-base/axiom.sty.svn-base

That is a bug that I fixed in revision 75 of branches/build-improvements at sourceforge.

Makefile.pamphlet:
  Removed the line
        @cp -pr ${SRC}/scripts/* ${MNT}/${SYS}/bin
  from the target "rootdirs".

scr/scripts/Makefile.pamphlet:
  Replace the "all" target code by the following two targets.

all: ${OUT}/Makefile.pamphlet
        address@hidden -p ${OUT}/tex

${OUT}/Makefile.pamphlet:
        @echo 1 making ${SRC}/scripts
        cp -pr * ${OUT}

There is actually another change in src/doc/Makefile.pamphlet, but maybe the two files above suffice.

Maybe it is easier to use svk instead of svn. svk does not put .svn directories inside the checked out tree.
See http://axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/mathaction/AxiomSilverBranch

chmodding everything within /hemo/tmgisi/axiom64 to 777, make got past this point but make did not proceed for more than 24-hours at:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc' 1 making /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/int/doc/axiom.bib from /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc/axiom.bib.pamphlet 2 making /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/tex/axiom.sty from /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc/axiom.sty.pamphlet 3 making /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/doc/DeveloperNotes.dvi from /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc/DeveloperNotes.pamphlet
The root module <<*>> was not defined.
4 making /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/doc/book.dvi from /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc/book.pamphlet 4 making /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/mnt/linux/doc/bookvol1.dvi from /home/tmgisi/axiom64/axiom.silver/axiom/src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet

So obviously, at step 5 of
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom
I chose the wrong sources. Would the golden one be the correct one then?

At least I compiled axiom--main--1--patch-50 (which is the current Gold version) exactly as described on http://axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/mathaction/AxiomSilverBranch (including the compilation of libaxiom.al.

I haven't yet tried Silver.

Good luck
Ralf