Re: [Axiom-developer] sayMessage

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] sayMessage
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 04:22:16 +0100 (CET)

> Tim --
>
>   The function sayMessage appears to be defined at least in two locations:
>
>    (1) src/interp/mark.boot
>    (2) src/interp/msgdb.boot
>
> which one should be considered the "true" definition?
>

> [ also, the perspective is having many definitions, overriding or not,
>  for same functions is seriously annoying when looking for
>  information. ]

mark.boot is part of Axiom to Aldor translator.  In normal use this
file (as all TRANOBJS) is not used.  Before starting Axiom to Aldor
translatotion TRANOBJS are loaded and overwrite many compiler functions.
I personally do not like this design, but it is not clear if
alternatives are better.  I considered:

- making a completly independent function hierarchy for translator
- adding global flag tested by relevant compiler functions
- using assignment to 'symbol-function'
- mixture of all above

First variant means significant code duplication. Second variant
means that individal compiler functions would be cluttered with extra
functionality which is unused during normal operation.  Third
variant is a slight improvement compared to current situation
(would allow to restore normal operation when the translator
has finished), but ATM I am not sure if gains would justify
effort.  Fourth variant IMHO would only add confusion due to
inconsistency.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden