Re: [Axiom-developer] browser front end, statement of plans and progres

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] browser front end, statement of plans and progress
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:14:04 +0100

Hello Tim,

On 01/27/2007 06:39 AM, address@hidden wrote:
I've been looking deeply into the problem of using a web browser
as the front end for axiom. There are 3 components:

1) replace the graphics
2) replace hyperdoc
3) make an interactive front end

[snip]

Consider problem 2, replace hyperdoc.

I've already coded portions of hyperdoc in javascript and am now
learning AJAX so that I can fetch pages and images from an axiom
session. Also in plan is to be able to dynamically show results
from the axiom session when looking up search and query information.

Hyperdoc used to have its own language for display but this is dead
and gone. I've been recoding the hyperdoc pages into html so they
use a standard format. This will allow anyone to code web pages without
any training. It should also allow us to embed pamphlets as pdf in pages.

The low level task is to recode the hyperdoc info into html and
javascript (in process), factor in new function for handling pamphlets and hyperlinking to non-axiom data, and using either
mathml or some other smooth symbol output.

Hyperdoc can display both static (easy) and dynamic (somewhat harder)
graphics output so I'm stalled on the conversion while I work thru the graphics details.

HyperDoc also shows the API of SPAD programs, in particular the ++ comments. I know that you tend to remove the ++ stuff in favour of literate programs, but their may be people (like me) who want to have both. I would rather like to see a concise API description from where I can quickly see that the function does what I would like it to do. Of course that doesn't prevent us from putting a link to the actual literate program part of the function into the API description. (Note that I don't want to get rid of the literate programming idea, I just want a different view on the documentation that pretty much looks like an API description.)

Since you want to bring the documentation to html, what do you expect as the input? If hyperdoc goes away, I probably guess rightly, that you also want to remove hypertex, right?

[snip]

Ralf