Re: [Axiom-developer] Lazyness in lexing Boot and Spad

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Lazyness in lexing Boot and Spad
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:34:19 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

| If SPAD provides "Generator" that would be sufficient. In Aldor-Combinat
| I have implemented streams and formal power series building on that concept.
|
| I have not checked Axiom, but I guess defining a series like
|
| s: FormalPowerSeries(Integer) := new();
| set!(s, 1 + monom * s * s);
|
| is not possible. Am I wrong? Maybe the delay keyword allows it??? (Could
| someone show me?)
|
| Of course, I would rather like to write
|
| s := 1 + monom * s * s;
|
| or perhaps with == instead of :=, but that would really require lazyness.

The lazyness I was talking about in my message is at the Boot source
code level.

Lazyness at Spad level is a different issue.  The computational rules
used by Spad does not seem to be documented anywhere. Experimental
evidence suggests "call by value" but that does not seem to be
sancitoned by an official documentation.