[Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp and Axiom (Boot)

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp and Axiom (Boot)
Date: 04 Mar 2007 21:17:00 -0600

Tim --

  The ANSI specification for the IN-PACKAGE syntax dictates that
the argument must be a string, not a symbol.  SBCL gives a fatal
error on that.  Furthermore, the specification also says that the
packages LISP, USER and SYSTEM are no longer required for a
conforming implementation.  Consequently, it is non-portable (and a
potential source of errors) to say something like

        (in-package 'BOOTTRAN :USE '(LISP USER SYSTEM))

SBCL gives a fatal error.

I stumbled over those while I was playing with the new configuration
setting for building src/boot with SBCL -- I have not tried ECL yet.
I'm working on a patch.