Re: [Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp and Axiom (Boot)

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp and Axiom (Boot)
Date: 05 Mar 2007 06:53:09 -0600

Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| > Gosh, try to report an issue with the build system and you a get a
| > full lecture on what does not help you.
|
| How's this? In cltl1 gcl IN-PACKAGE will create a package if it did not
| exist.

That is what I suspected -- since we all have functioning Axiom.
Thanks for the confirmation!

| In ANSI lisps, you need to DEFPACKAGE the package first.

Yes; in my current experiment I've merged src/boot/boothdr.lisp and
src/boot/npextras.lisp into a single file.  That file is loaded in a
fresh Lisp image, and the result is saved, then re-used to build
bootsys.  That apparently is much simpler than current scheme and
saves us from many non-portability issues.

[...]

| The same code should cause ANSI gcl to choke too.

I haven't built ANSI GCL; I'll try.  Maybe it would be a good think to
have as a configure option for helping check portability issues.

| In fact, ANSI gcl won't let you use #:bar as a package name.

Ah!  Now, I know why I don't use Lisp for everyday programming :-/

I'll stick to the string form.
Many thanks!