Re: [Axiom-developer] domains with parameters versus Python classes

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] domains with parameters versus Python classes
Date: 30 Mar 2007 08:44:27 -0500

"Ondrej Certik" <address@hidden> writes:

| > But the point of this exercise for me is still to present Spad
| > for Python programmers - not really an argument for or against
| > one or the other. Presenting it this way as a challenge seems
| > like a way of motivating more interest in this subject. I think this
| > is important for some of the same reasons that people currently
| > doing computer algebra and symbolic computation in Python
| > (e.g. SymPy and Sage) think it is important: because there are
| > a *lot* of people who know or are learning to program in Python
| > while there is a much much smaller number of people who have
| > or are developing the skills to program in Axiom. If Axiom (and
| > Aldor) has a future, I think we have to find some way to interest
| > even a small share of that talent.
|
| I agree with this completely. And I think it is influencing to Aldor
| users as well, to know, that Aldor is not the only possible way of
| doing things and that many of the functionalities of Aldor they
| thought are unique to it, can actually be done in for example Python
| quite easily as well.

Very few poeple think that many functionalities in Aldor are unique to
Aldor.

[...]

| Please, don't take my questions as a provocation, I am just interested
| in pure discussion, I just want to know all reasons why you chose
| Aldor, as I think it's not wise and you also think that Python is not
| wise (otherwise you would already used it), thus I want to understand
| and point out each other's arguments.

Aldor is the continuation of the Scratchpad library extension language.
Scratchpad is a project started beginning of seventies, long before
Python was dreamt of.  And Python was influced by Scratchpad.

Anyway, I find the idea of luring Python developers into Axiom by
showing them how you can write Spad/Aldor programs in Python and vice
versa very, let say, curious.