Re: [Axiom-developer] SymPy code

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SymPy code
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:31:24 +0200

Yes, SymPy is here:

http://code.google.com/p/sympy/

and the only think it can do now better than axiom is limits. Yes, it
ignores many special cases, but on the other hand it does work for the
most common cases, like power simplifications and simple limits (all
in Demidovich that I tried, for example).

What do you mean by algebraic expressions?

Ondrej

On 3/30/07, Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is your python algebra code available?
> It might be an interesting exercise to rewrite it into spad
> and see a head-to-head comparison. And, as a major side-effect,
> increase the range of Axiom

AFAICS the only part of SymPy which is not implemented in Axiom
is Gruntz algorithm for limits.  After quick look at limits.py
I think that it would be not hard to add similar code to Axiom.
However it looks that SymPy code ignores many real-life issues:
1) algebraic expressions
2) special functions
3) parameters

Especially determining sign in presence of parameters is troublesome
(undecidable).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden