RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: unit testing

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: unit testing
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:22:18 -0400

On April 2, 2007 3:20 AM Martin Rubey

> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes! We should have a standardized way to 'notangle' and
> > execute the tests in every pamphlet file. I think this
> > could be easily done with the existing noweb and makefile
> > methods. All we need is for someone to define the standard
> > style for writing these code chunks in pamphlet files.
>
> Hey! did you ever care to look at ALLPROSE & AldorUnit?
> PLEASE do! Please do not invent the wheel yet another
> time!

Well it certainly has been invented a large number of times.
There must be at least at least a half dozen implementations
of something like this in various languages.

ALLPROSE and AldorUnit are certainly useful in the environment
for which they were designed and I agree they provide an
excellent model of Axiom. But somebody - and as far as I can
see it is almost necessarily the original designers of these
packages - must take on the task of adapting them to Axiom.
For anyone else it is likely to be easier simply to re-
invent it. Unfortunately that is the real extent to which
we seem to be able to re-use software in most cases. :-(