Re: [Axiom-developer] Obfuscated Boot Code Contest

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Obfuscated Boot Code Contest
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:34:14 +0200 (CEST)

> It is generally admited that in Boot (whether old or new) an
> identifier written in all uppercase is passed unmodified in the
> generated Lisp code (except for T).  Right?
>
> Well, Old Boot says "Wrong!".  Some of the all-uppercase identifiers
> are renamed into case-sensitive uppercase, or renamed to some
> something else.  Here is a short list I have:
>
>   ASSOC        --> |assoc|
>   DELETE       --> |delete|
>   GET          --> GETL
>   INTERSECTION --> |intersection|
>   LAST         --> |last|
>   MEMBER       --> |member|
>   RASSOC       --> |rassoc|
>   READ         --> VMREAD
>   READ-LINE    --> |read-line|
>   REDUCE       --> SPADREDUCE
>   REMOVE       --> |remove

I would prefer to eliminate all renaming at boot/shoe level.  Instead,
I would just define needed functions at Lisp level (partially in the
style of unlisp.lisp.pamphlet, but also using compiler macros for
efficiency).  Also, I consider using all-lowercase Lisp (making
a package "common-lisp" beeing a lowercase version of "COMMON-LISP",
and setting *readtable-case* to preserve).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden