Re: [Axiom-developer] Set Any and SXHASH

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Set Any and SXHASH
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:15:24 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Dear Bill, Waldek, *
>
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I would say that sorting elements of Set is a design bug.
>
> I disagree - but in fact, I believe that the statement above is due to
> miscommunication:
>
> "Set" uses the order of the underlying domain *if* the latter is an
> OrderedSet,
> i.e., if it is totally ordered.  In my opinion, this is a very reasonable
> decision.
>
> If the underlying domain is not an OrderedSet, for example "ANY", then "Set"
> will use slower algorithms, which do not depend on an ordering.

Thanks for pointing out this -- I trusted documentation, but
documentation was wrong.  So, Bill first fix is fine if domains
has OrderedSett, but sorting must be conditional on OrderedSet.
I have now updated documentation and applied (to wh-sandbox) the fix.

When I wrote about design bug I meant idea of sorting something
which is not an OrderedSet.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden