[Axiom-developer] [Juho Snellman <address@hidden>] Re: [Sbcl-devel] Vers

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [Juho Snellman <address@hidden>] Re: [Sbcl-devel] Version Control Systems
Date: 03 May 2007 07:18:11 -0500

FYI.
This is not a Call For Debate.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Sbcl-devel] Version Control Systems Date: 03 May 2007 08:11:38 +0300 User-agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.4
James Y Knight <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd like to propose switching to sf.net SVN hosting. Now, for all you
> svn naysayers out there, before you say your nays, I'd like to first
> point out that svn repositories can be used directly by bzr (http://
> bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion) and git (http://
> www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html). And of course
> there's also svk (http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage). So
> that's 3 distributed-VCS tools, and svn itself, that you can use
> directly with an upstream svn repository, without requiring a
> conversion step. 4 VCS systems for the price of 1, and don't have to
> move to an alternate hosting provider. It sounds like a pretty good
> deal to me.

I second the proposal.

Whether we use cvs or svn doesn't matter horribly much to my workflow
since my only interaction with cvs is running a script that commits
stuff from my git repository to the official cvs one. Getting rid of
the git gateway sync delay would be just a minor improvement, nothing
critical. But there are a lot of minor things that would be improved
by switching, and at some point they start adding up. As another
example, it'd be nice if people without commit access could send
properly formatted patches that add new files (hard to do with cvs,
since "cvs add" requires commit rights).

--
Juho Snellman