RE: [Axiom-developer] Bootstrap documentation.

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Bootstrap documentation.
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:25:11 -0400

On May 8, 2007 10:48 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> > | I don't understand this construction. What is the signature
> > | of the function 'Plus'? I think this goes beyond what would
> > | normally call "dependent types"
> >
> > Huh?  What is "normally called 'dependent types'"?

Perhaps I should have said: "goes beyond what **I** would normally
call a dependent type". How other people classify this, I cannot
say. Now you might ask: How do I define dependent type? But I
prefer to punt (en Français "ponter") on that question for now.

> Bill, yes, the L looks like being a parameter. Let me try
> another definition.
>
> Plus1(
>      F: SPECIES,
>      G: SPECIES
> ): SPECIES == (L: LabelType): CombinatorialSpecies(L) +-> add {
>          Rep == Union(left: F L, right: G L);
>          import from Rep;
>          <<implementation: Plus>>
> }
>
> So
>     Plus: (SPECIES, SPECIES) -> SPECIES
> as an addition of species.
>
> Does that look simpler?

Yes, excellent. That is much better. Now L only appears explicity
in the body of the function. Is it equivalent to what Martin wrote?

> Of course you can go on and define something like
>
> Plus2: (F: SPECIES, G: SPECIES) -> ... ==
>         (F: SPECIES, G: SPECIES): ... +-> ((L: LabelType):
> ... +-> ...)
>
> But that is probably not what you meant.
>
> Yes, CombinatorialSpecies is itself a function.
http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/hemmecke/AldorCombinat/combinatsu16.ht
ml#dt:CombinatorialSpecies

> CombinatorialSpecies: (L: LabelType) -> Category
>
> The following does (of course) not work.
>
> Plus3(
>      F: SPECIES,
>      G: SPECIES
> ): CombinatorialSpecies ==
> (L: LabelType): CombinatorialSpecies(L) +-> add {
>          Rep == Union(left: F L, right: G L);
>          import from Rep;
>          <<implementation: Plus>>
> }
>
> And I somehow need the L, because it is used inside the "add".

Ok. Thanks.