[Axiom-developer] JavaFX

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] JavaFX
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 00:43:56 -0500

This might be interesting as a way to get a portable
browser-based/Java enabled Axiom front end:

Java would significantly improve our ability to do system
independent graphics within a web page. I've been looking
into the new <canvas> tag in more detail but this might
make it a dead path.

In general, after 2 years of professional use, I've grown
to hate Java. However, javascript is also painful. The
devil will certainly be in the details. There is, as usual,
a lack of detail.

At the moment the plan is to re-use the current design
as much as possible as a target design.

We could use the current hyperdoc and graphics interfaces
as API definitions which would mean that sman could talk
directly to web-based code or use hyperdoc/view2D/view3D.
This would significantly lower the redesign costs.

In order to use the same algorithms it would be sufficient
to create a set of java classes that mimic the subset of X11
calls we currently use. This might be easier with the Java
graphics API than with the javascript/canvas tag combo.

There is no such thing as a simple job.