Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and common lisp tools

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and common lisp tools
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> 1) A web server to front Axiom in common lisp (Sman)
>
> This is a web server written in common lisp.
> It appears to be useful in SBCL, one of the port targets for ANSI.
> <http://weitz.de/hunchentoot>

Hunchentoot has been on my radar for a while as a possible tool for
Axiom - glad to see interest in it :-).

> The combination of these two things makes it somewhat easier to
> achieve the goal of a fully portable hyperdoc with a running
> axiom in the background.

Would the inclusion of hunchentoot in Axiom make it possible/desirable
to simply make use of hunchentoot's communication channels for all
front ends (except maybe the terminal?)  Perhaps TeXmacs could be
taught to communicate through such a channel, for example.  Could that
avoid the need to use types of sockets not supported by the various
Lisps in favor of only TCP/IP style communications?  Are there local
performance penalties that would make such a mechanism problematic?

> 3) A live version of graphs (Graphics)
>
> The author, Dustin Long, is looking into the ability to write
> into the new <canvas> tag which means that we would be able to
> draw directly onto the web page.

How portable would the <canvas> tag be across browsers/platforms?  Just
curious - I know we may not be able to rest on existing technology and
achieve what we are after.

> 4) Axiom talking to a web server process or running in a web server
> (Doyen)
>
> and it appears that all of the pieces should be in place in the near
> term to have a fully functional common-lisp-only based portable
> Axiom.

Very nice!

Cheers,
CY

 for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's
economy) at Yahoo! Games.