[Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] NOISE

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] NOISE
Date: 31 May 2007 06:55:31 -0500

I removed uses of NOISE from the makefiles.  It is a terrible way of
implementing verbosity/non-verbosity.  It has proven many times to be
confusing to people -- we had had report of users waiting for 48
hours, where the interactive message was captured and hidden from
user's sight.

People who want to suppress the verbosity of the build can always
redirect to null.

If there is a popular demand, I can look into implementing some
configure-time verbosity switch, but NOISE is a terrible way of doing
things.