Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build
Date: 01 Jul 2007 09:05:56 -0400

Hi Gaby,

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi,
>
>   This message contains no code.  It is a head up.
>
> The current build machinery in silver does not support out of source
> build.
>
> That is wrong.

Agreed.

> We must be able to build Axiom in a directory different from the one
> that contain the source code -- for exemple the source code may live on a
> read-only media, such as a CD.
>
> Also, I suggest the elimination of the "int/" subdirectory -- I know
> what it is there for, but that is the wrong way of achieving what it
> is supposed to do.

In general I agree, although I do find the segregation between int/
and obj/ helpful.  But thats more ancidotal than anything else, as
other schemes Im sure are just as easy to work with.

Am I correct in assuming the generated .lisp files are still easily
inspected and modified, and share their own component of the
dependency graph for make?

I guess I would like a tad bit more info than saying the current
scheme is bad.  It tells me nothing about the benifits of your change.

Take care,
Steve