Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom community goals

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom community goals
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:03:45 +0200

On 07/07/2007 10:52 PM, Weiss, Juergen wrote:
Tim,

in my opinion the Axiom community consists of the people
interested in Axiom as users or developers and taking part
in the discussions on the Axiom-developer mailing list.
Their goals are certainly quite diverse. It is a gross
error to equate their goals with your goals which you described
several times in detail.

Quite right. Actually, out of my head I only know that Axiom should be one day a super CAS, well documented by pamphlets and a system that can be extended by drag&drop.

I can agree with that. But I don't agree that Axiom should be developed by 4 or 5 people. One way to achieve the above mentioned goals is to attract more developers. Oh yes, and I believe in order to achieve the "Axiom goals" in 30 years, it would be temporarily wise to relax some goal like requiring 100% perfect documentation. Look at the code today. That are syntactically correct pamphlets, but most of them are nothing than actual code files. I say it again, There will never be anything as nice as you (Tim) dream of if only 4 developers do it. Axiom desparately needs more manpower. That is not a goal. That is a way to achieve the dream.

I would for example guess that besides you there are not more
than one or two others who believe in literate programming
in general and have made any substantial contribution during
the last years. And if it comes to literate programming as
executed in the project I wonder if there are more than zero.

Oh, sorry. I now believe in literate programming. And I am grateful to Tim that he has repeated that its importance again and again. No LP should not be sacrificed as the longterm goal of Axiom. However, as most people feel, it is not the easiest task to write a literate program. There is no guideline how it should be done. It is an experiment to see how good LP can be applied to a living community project.

I would assume that most people on the list did not openly
question your goals in respect for your work and your dedication
to the Axiom project. But you should not assume that your goals are their goals.

It's not about questioning the goals. But I have the impression that one person has set the goals and the only choise I have is:
a) follow the goals strictly,
b) leave the project.
Nothing completely fits for me. Poor me.

Ralf