[Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp in Small Pieces

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Lisp in Small Pieces
Date: 07 Jul 2007 23:17:14 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Ralf, Stephen,
>
> I think you'll find this book very interesting. Aside from the
> subject matter it also clearly illustrates a style worth copying,
> at least in my opinion. He gives the complete source code for a
> lisp implementation along with a perfectly readable explanation
> of all of the issues. I think that ALLPROSE could find a possible
> example of a pamphlet/booklet format here.

This is a book I always wanted to purchase.  I have read portions
quite some time ago via library loan.  I recall being impressed.  I
will make it a priority to order a copy.

> The compiler chapter (ch 7) goes into great detail in a readable
> fashion. Particularly interesting is the handling of continuations.
> I'm interested in continuations (or futures) because this would be a
> perfect mechanism for handling multi-branching provisos, each branch
> in its own continuation. The closest thing in spad seems to be
> infinite streams. However an explicit continuation mechanism would be
> very nice indeed.

I find this very interesting.  I wonder what would be involved in
implementing continuations to exploit GCL's multiprocessing
capabilities.

> Queinnec, Christian, "Lisp in Small Pieces" ISBN 0-521-54566-8
>
> Tim

Steve