Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug in GeneralizedMultivariateFactorize?

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug in GeneralizedMultivariateFactorize?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 05:09:23 -0400

The domain Factored R does not promise full factorization. Indeed, it only
promise to keep the elements of R in factored form, and a factor has a flag,
including "nil", "sqfr", "irred" or "prime". So returning a square free form is
not a bug.

The MultivariateSquareFree package has a squareFree operation when the
coefficient domain is a EuclideanDomain (and the PolynomialGcdPackage provides
gcd operations via Hensel lifting). However, I am not sure if there is a
squareFree operation when the coefficient ring is just an integral domain. There
is some indication from the +++ comments that the author (Gianni) believed a
squareFree factorization is possible for multivariate polynomial rings over
certain integral domains (but the algorithm then used requires a Euclidean
division algorithm) and hence the more relaxed requirement on the coefficient
domain in GENMFACT.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on factorization.

William